Saturday, March 6, 2010

Spring Training for Topaz

Like baseball players, horses need to get fitted up in Spring. With so much lush grass cropping up, we have to keep those big bellies under control. If you think about it - they have such thin legs that carry so much weight, so it's our responsibility to keep that all in balance.

video

Topaz is thrilled. Can't you tell?

No, really. I forgot how much fun it is to ride her. She's very smooth and sensible when under saddle, which is more than we can say when she is *not* under saddle.

(See previous post. My butt still hurts.)

Anyway, this was the first time Topaz had been ridden in months. She was awesome! This video is just at the walk, and we did do some trotting, but very little. I was happy to find that she was feeling really sound and seemed pretty happy to have a purpose.

Or, to just hurry it up and get it over with so she could get back to her hay that was calling to her like a siren to a ship. Topaz is not a speedboat, no....she's an ocean liner. Or a tugboat.

Don't tell her I said that.

2 comments:

Pet Plog said...

KC, Little Topaz looks a bit weary. Do you think she needs a coconut oil rub for those tired muscles? Poor little muffin.

Willard is a spunky squirrely whirley little thing, ain't he!

By the way, I don't know why I post as Pet Plog. I can't change that! It's me! Aislinn!

Catherine said...

KC, what a nice ride you two had. I love the sound of hoofs on the ground. Man, I really want to take lessons now.

Cat