Monday, April 26, 2010

Greek God....um...Good. Gurt.

Ok, I'll admit it.

I like yogurt.

I sometimes have it by itself, but I love nothing more than to slice up some fresh fruit (hopefully some strawberries and blueberries from my own garden soon!) and toss it in, or to throw in some Grape Nuts to give it some oomph.

For a long time now, I've been a Light N' Fit kinda girl.
It comes in lots of flavors, is easy to toss in your bag on the run, and doesn't taste awful.

But not long after, I'm hungry again. And when I'm running around cleaning stalls/ teaching lessons/ riding horses/ puppy sitting the three little loves that Pete and Anissa own, it's rather inconvenient to run into the house and shovel Cheese Nips, chocolate chip cookies, whipped cream, more cookies, and chocolate cake in my face.

Not to mention unhealthy. But that's neither here nor there.

The other day, Matt happened upon a segment on the Today Show (that I watch religiously until he sneaks in to switch it to Sportscenter when I am feeding the horses) about foods you may be surprised about, that are better for you than you thought.

For instance, turkey bacon has way more salt than regular bacon, and some other bad stuff. Mom and Dad, you were right. I'm bowing my head in shame.

(They made fun of me endlessly when I said I switched us to turkey bacon because it's "healthier.")

The guy on the show told Matt that nonfat yogurts should be tossed out the window, with their fake sugars, high sodium content and other unidentifiable objects hidden in there. He decreed that Greek yogurt is the way to go. So Matt burst into the office, where I was, and boasted, "Did you know the yogurt you've been eating is crap?!"

"And let's get some real bacon this weekend, for Pete's sake! The man on the Today show said it's ok, what are we waiting for?!"

Ok, he didn't say "for Pete's sake." He said something else, but it's not blog friendly. The man was a sailor in a former life.

At the grocery store this weekend, we spotted this yogurt next to my Light N' Fit selections:
A Nonfat Greek yogurt - same ounces as my normal 'gurt, and as predicted, less sodium. I went to just toss one in the cart, but Matt stopped me to check out the nutrition label - one of the many reasons I married that guy. I blindly toss things in the grocery cart all the time. Like the delicious gelato from Italy that ended up in our freezer. How did that get in there? I haven't the foggiest. Mmmmmm.

Today was the big test. I sliced up some strawberries, opened up the (vanilla) Greek yogurt, and off we went.

Not bad. Creamier, almost a custardy consistency, and it was definitely vanilla.

But the real surprise came at about 3 PM, when I realized I was just then getting hungry for lunch.

I ran back to the Greek yogurt container in the kitchen to check and see if there was baklava and feta and ten gyros hidden in there. What is in there?

Protein!

The mystery is solved. And I am a convert. Too bad the Greeks charge twice the price as the Dannon people. But, if you account for the junk I won't be inhaling between breakfast and lunch, the 99 cent price tag doesn't seem so painful.

It's Greek to me - and it's delish!

13 comments:

Sapphire said...

I just switched to Greek yoghurt as well, I've always been a Yoplait girl but I like that Greek is healthier! I also switched us to organic meat, have you watched Food, Inc?

lizzieblue said...

me too! I've been having greek yogurt for lunch every day now for about 2 months, and i do much better all afternoon! Sometimes i save money by buying the bulk containers and bringing it in with a bit of jam (definitely partial to guava marmalade at the moment) or honey mixed in. I've been thinking about getting some cheese cloth so i can try making yogurt spread to use instead of cream cheese, i hear it's pretty good, and i definitely see the flavor/texture similarity with plain greek yogurt.

lizzieblue said...

OH! PS! Beware, check the ingredients! Some "greek style" yogurts have lots of thickeners added and are really gross. See my post about it. Yoplait, no way!

mandy @ bigcity! baby said...

Aha! I knew Lizzie had blogged about some kind that was yucky & then I was all confused when I read her first comment.
And um, what!? Turkey Bacon isn't better for you? Dammit!

Catherine said...

I love me some plain Greek yogurt with a little granola and honey in it. Yummo!

Cynthia D said...

Okay, I'm convinced. I'll try the Greek Stuff.

Lizzieblue, if you are looking for cheesecloth, don't buy the stuff that falls apart, into your food. Williams Sonoma was carrying a product that was displayed as kitchen towels, but was the same thing I bought in France to use as cheesecloth, and it works great.

Catherine said...

All this talk of cheesecloth is making me want a grilled cheese sandwich!

Aislinn said...

Catherine, I'm with you! Grilled cheese with "real" bacon, and tomatoes. Yum!

Girls, if you're going to eat yogourt, Greek or not, try to go with organic. Stoneyfield Farms makes a great one. So does Trader Joe's. I make smoothies with fresh organic fruit all summer long. I throw in some pineapple juice and coconut milk, and it's almost a Pina Colada, minus the rum. Yum rhymes with rum, so there ya go.

Catherine said...

Mmmmmm....bacon.....

Sapphire said...

Mmm, I love smoothies! I make mine with blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, apple, and carrot juice (great combination for the liver coz I keep the vineyards running). I sip on it all morning, never run out of energy.

Oh, and KC, really? Turkey bacon? :p I'm with Aislinn, good yummy full fat pig bacon thanks!

Alyson (New England Living) said...

I have not had greek yogurt before, but must try! I do love putting in grape nuts when I have yogurt though. It is so yummy and so filling!

KC said...

I am astounded that my Yogurt Post (Yogurt Blog....Blogurt?) has garnered more comments than any other post! Lesson learned. More food posts cometh.

Aislinn said...

Please do a fried chicken post!