Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Contrasts

It was an absolutely gloomy, dreary, gross day for the middle of May. It rained this morning, it misted and showered this afternoon, and it was downright cold.
Where is Spring?

I spent the majority of the day lamenting over this weather - it complicates turnout for the horses (and they live for their time outside on the grass), it uses up more oil to heat the house, I'm throwing gloves in the dryer to warm them up before my next run out to the barn....

....waaah waaah waaah.

Luckily, this time of the year brings more warmth than cold, and while the day was damp and chilly, it was one more day to enjoy.

I try not to complain a lot, and yet, I still find myself doing it sometimes, often without thinking about it. But is my life really so bad?

The answer is a loud, resounding no! I feel very lucky to have this life. This is a life given to me by my parents, who instilled in me a strong work ethic and belief in myself; in my hubby Matt for his belief in me, and for his support that I can do what I love and make a decent living at it; and my students and friends, who support our business and give us the encouragement to keep pushing onward.

Tomorrow, I have two new students beginning their riding careers at TMF. One is only five. I began riding at 5, and look how that one ride on a pony named Chief changed my life. The other is a teenager who needs a passion - and confidence to carry her through the upcoming four years of high school. Maybe our horses and I can make the smallest difference in their lives.

I was thinking about this as I was putting the horses in for the night and feeding them their dinner. I turned towards our back field, and saw this:
Instead of thinking about how I could see my breath from the cold, I thought about the days ahead - just how bright they can be.

I heard birds chirping, the horses happily eating their grain, and a distant train whistle - the same train that would bring Matt home about 30 minutes later.
There are, most definitely, bright days ahead.

7 comments:

Ann said...

Today's entry made me smile, KC. As most of them do (OK, the puppy one made me grin!) but this one was special. Today's new students are very lucky to have you in their lives. Have a great spring day! xoxo

lizzieblue said...

Remember when you gave up complaining for lent? I have noticed that you're much more conscious of complaining and make a solid effort not to do it since then :) Now if only a few other people i know would follow suit! And you'll be happy to know, that after a round of thunderstorms tomorrow, the weather is supposed to get back to wonderful! Too bad I won't be here*!
*assuming the ash cloud doesn't ruin everything

Cynthia D said...

I love today's post. It was inspirational, and made me take a moment to give thanks for the values and opportunities that my parents gave me.

I believe gratitude is one of the most important things to keep in the front of our minds.

And I also believe that good things come to those who work hard, sometimes really hard, and are willing to take a leap of faith. Like our KC and Matt.

Catherine said...

KC, what a nice post to start my day with. You will have a huge (positive) impact on both of your new students, I suspect. Lucky girls.

JayZ said...

I loved reading your post. I think we can all get caught up in complaining. But the important thing to remember is how much you have to be happy about...and you have a lot!

But I still hope you get some sun soon! We've had a gorgeous week in LA and I can't help but smile when the sun is out :-) Good luck with your new students!

Aislinn said...

KC, you are living your dream, and you've earned every nanosecond of it. Anyone who is lucky enough to have you as their teacher, mentor - anything you want to call it - is blessed. I, being one of them, can vouch for that.

The sun will come out tomorrow...Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, come what may...tomorrow...tomorrow...I love ya...tomorrow...you're only a day away.

Arliss said...

KC, this was such a beautiful post. I really love it. You're a wonderful writer!

Aislinn, love your rendition of that song. : )