Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Great Ride

Today was an awesome day! Every now and again, you have a ride that just makes you smile, even a day or two after.

Today was one of those days.

Zeus and I did his first jump, with me on his back - and Matt put it perfectly - "She's baaaack!"

We did some flatwork first, to warm up, and mostly because he should mainly be doing flatwork at his age and experience. But he was being so good and calm, I decided to throw caution to the wind and give a crossrail a shot. (Many videos cometh!)

Caution to the wind = wearing helmet and a safety vest. So there was some caution. I'm not stupid. Maybe a little crazy, though.


There we are working at a canter. Most ex-racers really haul when they get started in a canter (meaning, they need to be taught to canter slowly), and it's something we've worked on a good deal, and he's almost a tad too slow here, but I'm not complaining - he's relaxed and working very nicely.

Then it was time to tackle the fence! Which was, to be honest, about 8 inches off the ground. But still.

Hooray!

Then we did it at a canter, and he attempted to circle, but that's because we don't typically canter down the straightaway, so he wasn't expecting me to keep him straight. Still, he went right over it, smooth as can be!


What a good boy he can be! I can't wait to see what this summer brings.

7 comments:

Aislinn said...

KC, I can only say one word right now, and that is "Amazing."

I am so excited for you. Our -(yes, our) - little Zeus just blew me away.

I can't wait to see him again, and give him a big hug. Go, Zeus!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aislinn said...

KC, I don't know what happened to my first comment, so rather than repeat it, all I'll say is "Zeus is awesome."

Catherine said...

For some reason I can't view the videos from home (old computer, I guess). I'm glad you had a great ride. How did your ribs hold up?

Cynthia D said...

I have been watching this horse for a couple of months now. I can tell you from first hand experience; Zeus is working hard to please the lady sitting on his back.

Why? Because he loves her. Pure and simple. I'm fortunate enough to be at the farm on a regular basis, and I witness Zeus following KC's moves around the barn. I see him light up when she approaches. When she is in the stall with him, he leans his big beautiful head towards her small face.

And they both are content.

KC said...

Cat, you should be able to see the vid on your work computer - I uploaded them on to YouTube. I was going to try and merge them together but couldn't figure out how to do it, guess you need a Flip for that!

Ais, I got both comments! :)

Cynthia....xo

Arliss said...

KC, I just LOVE the videos of you riding Zeus! Such a delight! He looks wonderful, what a good boy. So glad to hear of your progress with him. I'm not surprised, brilliant and gifted horsewoman that you are.

Cynthia, what beautiful and kind-spirited comments you wrote about KC and Zeus. You put it all so wonderfully. You are a special lady. : )

Jane said...

Congratulations to you and to Zeus! He's definitely a keeper!!! Glad to see you feeling your bad self again. :)