Monday, September 13, 2010

Oooh La La....Meet Paris

Since you met Chief yesterday, it's only fair that today you meet Paris. Paris, formerly known as Girlie, was a horse that had to live with her halter on, because she would refuse to be caught and handled. I think you'll see a different horse.

But first, I'll give you a brief preview of Million Dollar Moon, my next project.
Moon is about 4 years old. She was born at Akindale, and ran 32 races in her career. When they retired her from racing, she got adopted out. However, her adopter evidently didn't like to feed Moon, so she came back to Akindale, where she's gaining weight and flourishing back to her proper weight. All too often lately, we are seeing horses that are severely underfed, due to owners who either don't have the money to feed them properly, don't care, or perhaps a little of both.

While Moon was away, she also developed a rearing problem. Rearing is standing up on hind legs, usually in fear or defiance. The photo above, I think, shows the true Moon - soft, willing, and maybe a bit misunderstood. I'll get to work on her in a few weeks, once we think she's had enough time to recover from the bad situation she was in.

Anyway, let's take a trip to meet a little croissant of a horse....here's Paris!
Isn't she cute? That little nose on my right is also another upcoming project, a beautiful dappled bay mare whose name I can't remember. I also don't recall her story (there are so many, it seems) but I'll update you on her once I begin working with her.
Not far from Paris is a horse you may remember - EZ Dollar. Here they are having some delicious grass hay together.
And there they are, hanging out before frisking Matt and I for carrots. EZ, after having a short visit with us at TMF (he wasn't a good fit for my client at the time), got adopted out to what we all thought was his forever home. Sadly, his story is the same as Moon's - he wasn't fed, and therefore is back at Akindale. But his story may have a happy ending. I believe he's going on trial to a wonderful home, and if I know EZ, he'll charm his potential adopters and find himself, finally, home. I've frequently said that if we had the room, I'd take him - he's got such potential and reminds me of Midnight. But if someone else who is worthy gets the chance to love him...then they're very lucky indeed.

Before we left, I happened upon a nice moment between Paris and EZ - clearly they're close friends, and are at peace at Akindale.
Life is good for these very special horses.

4 comments:

Arliss said...

I love Paris -- she's one cute cookie! And the name is inspired. Great choice! I can't wait to read more about her and see her progress. And Million Dollar Moon (speaking of names, love that one) is really beautiful. 'Course, I'm a sucker for greys, so I may be partial. What a sad set of circumstances she's been through ... and poor EZ as well!

I just love the photo of Paris and EZ at the bottom of the post. So peaceful. :)

Beverley said...

I wish I loved near you, I would love to help you with what your doing..... Great Job KC!
Bev xxxxx

Catherine said...

What a great place to spend your time and offer your vast equine talents, Kace. I really admire you. Those horses are beautiful. I just cannot believe there are people out there who would intentionally not feed them. I just can't believe there are people out there like that, but there are. I'm going to pull up the Akindale website and look into donating. Since I'm too far away to volunteer (hmmm, what could I do...teach the horses how to balance their checkbooks) I think cash will have to do - ha.

mcb said...

Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog while searching for info about my dearly beloved horse...EZ Dollar! He definitely charmed me after taking him on trial in September, you can check out my obsession: http://ezlife-mcb.blogspot.com/ (although, please excuse the cat posts...). It makes me so happy to see some of his life before me, sad though to learn about some trials and tribulations before I was able to make him the apple of my eye. Just wanted to thank you for helping to take care of him, and let you know he is happy and healthy!
Megan