Saturday, October 16, 2010

Just Your Normal, Relaxing Saturday...

I am exhausted!

Today was a first for me. I rescued my first horse from the Kill Pen.

Would you like to meet her?

Here she is!
We don't know much about her yet....except that she is a 12 year old Thoroughbred, about 15.3 hands. She rode through the auction like a star, but no one bought her, so she ended up in the Kill Pen with a deadline of noon on Saturday to save her....or else she would be shipped to slaughter in Mexico or Canada.

Isn't she pretty?

She was at an auction called Camelot in NJ, and through the modern day miracle of Facebook, an organization formed called Camelot Horse Weekly. These volunteers go to the auction, photograph the horses, and then campaign them to be homed before their noon Saturday deadline. As of November 2010, it will be the one year anniversary of NO horses being shipped to slaughter from Camelot.

With an auction house that gets approximately 40-60 horses per week through their doors, this is no small feat.


I am a member of this group, and saw this mare when the list and photos were posted Thursday. I kept an eye on her, and was shocked when no one nabbed her - she has great conformation, good bone structure, and clean legs - all great traits for a horse who was once a racehorse.

The 11th hour came, and I had to do something - so I contacted my boss at Akindale Thoroughbred Rescue and asked what we could do.

She said we can ship the horse and she'll have a home at ATBR, but someone would have to raise funds in order to save her - a total of about $480. Ooooook.

Did I mention it was 11:45 AM when I talked to her?

So the campaign began. Strangers, other people on the CHR page, offered up their hearts and wallets to save this girl. I called with my own credit card, and bailed her out.

She will be coming home to Akindale on Wednesday. I cannot wait to meet her.
Look at that face....the broken halter, with those kind, doe-like eyes. I think she's pretty special. I am going to personally take her onto my roster of horses to work with, as I feel a direct connection with her, having been the one to make the final move to bring her home.

Hopefully, we'll find out more about her when she arrives - some horses come from the Kill Pen with their papers, or at least their Jockey Club (racing) name....and from there, we can see her racing history and pedigree.

Stay tuned to find out updates about our newest little girl! With lots of photos of course.

You are also very welcome to make a donation on her behalf to Akindale. Just go to the link above and head to the Donations page. Mention horse #82 from Camelot, and it will be allocated to her.
Busy day tomorrow....it's Akindale's Family Fun Day!

4 comments:

Aislinn said...

KC, That is just amazing. I am in awe of you. What more can I say. Bless your heart.

Arliss said...

WOW! I too am amazed! This is so cool. KC, you did such a good thing, saving the life of this beautiful mare. (Down to the last 15 minutes! I'm sorry that I missed the drama as you put everything together at the last hour to get this horse safe ... it must have been pretty stressful, though. Hooray! And good for Akindale too for getting behind the rescue.)

KC said...

Ais, thank you, but the real heroes are the donors from Camelot Horse Weekly, who helped defray some of my cost of bailing her, and Akindale, for taking her on without question and bringing her home to us, out of the Kill Pen. Without them, I couldn't have done what I did.

Arliss, I know you would have been right there with us for her crusade if you were at home! Perhaps you can be part of the excitement for the next one we pull. :) Though hopefully, they will all get homes swiftly!

Catherine said...

My sister-in-law's birthday is this week. My gift to her will be a donation to Akindale horse #82.

KC, you saved her life!