Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Heartbreak

Warning: If you are faint of heart, do yourself a favor and don't read this post.

If you're at work and don't want to get choked up at your desk, please wait until you get home to read. Trust me, you'll be happy you did.

Today was a hard day, but one with a happy ending. It really brings home why we do what we do at Akindale.

A little background: Evening Attire is a horse that resides at ATBR, and he is very well known in racing circles, having earned upwards of 3 million in his elite racing career. He is our "spokeshorse," and takes his role in greeting visitors very seriously. Frankly, there's no one better for the job!

A few months ago, we got wind of Evening's brother, Tacticianor, who was in a kill pen somewhere in the middle of the country. He was pulled and was sent to a rescue closer to the auction, since he was too weak to be moved here.

Here is a photo of him when he was pulled. Please be aware, he was starved - it's a tough image to look at. And he is just 6 years old.
Unbelievable, isn't it? Makes you angry, doesn't it?

Me too.

In good news, Tac arrived at Akindale this morning - ready for the next phase in his new life - one where he'll be safe, well fed, and most definitely happy. He still looks very, very thin, but in a few months, I'll do an update, and I promise you won't believe the difference.

All following photos are courtesy of the uber talented Stephanie Cowser.

Here, Erin looks over Tac. The grim expression on her face says it all. But I also see grit and determination there too.
Here comes the happy stuff. For the first time, Evening Attire meets his little brother Tac, with pasture pal Remington looking on:

We all think Evening knew exactly who Tac was. Tac was put in Evening's field, and as you can see, Evening was absolutely thrilled!

For a little bit, Tac joined in on the fun - even after his long journey from Ohio.

Later in the day, Erin and I went to a neighboring town to pull a starving horse that was adopted out. The woman who "helped" us load the mare into the trailer was upset that the horse pooped before loading, so she kicked the horse. It was sickening. The horse is now safe, in a lovely barn with people who will love her.
And this - this is why we do, what we do. For the horses. They deserve lives of dignity, health, and happiness - just like we do.

We do this for horses like Tac.
This holiday season, if you have to shop for someone who has everything, consider a donation. We'll have donation cards sent out to those of you who do, and request a card. No amount is too small. This is inspired by Cat E., faithful blog reader who donated to Akindale in lieu of a birthday gift for a family member.
Thank you for reading this entry, and thank you all for being a part of this journey with me.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I just want to cry. I spent a lot of time on the Akindale site tonight viewing photos of Tac. Excellent gift idea. My heart just hurts for them.

KC said...

Kim, tell your heart to hurt no longer...Tac is in the best place possible and it's only going to get better from here. :) xoxox

Catherine said...

Oh dear. I didn't wait until I got home to read this, so I'm welling up at work. How on Earth could that "woman" kick that horse. It makes me so sick!

What I've discovered, in this age of instant gratification, is that most of my family members have no need for anything at Christmas because they've already bought the latest "thing" long before the 25th. So instead of just exchanging junk with each other, I'm opting to donate in their names to causes I believe in. And since I seem to like animals more than humans in my old age, Akindale is where I like to donate. You see your money at work in a tangible way.

Kace, keep on doing what you're doing. It's a pleasure to sponsor it whenever I can. I can't wait to see Tac fattened up!