Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Bakeathon - Christmas Edition

My in-laws are coming, my in-laws are coming!

Luckily for me, I love it when my in-laws visit. Not only are they helpful, but they are also such fun to talk to and have little adventures with.

But they're arriving at noon today. Why haven't you heard from me?

I'm rolling out the red carpet. Although it should be called the Cookie Carpet.

We have our large Christmas dinner here tomorrow night(Thursday), and with that comes about 10 guests. I haven't even come close to starting the dinner yet, but the desserts are done!

First, we have Festive Nuts. These are walnuts that are rolled around and baked in butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and egg whites. Such a simple little idea that yields a delicious snack! I have to refrain when eating these...they go quickly.
Next up we have my famous (seriously!) Pumpkin Zucchini bread. It combines the love of two breads into one delicious concoction. My recipe makes 2 loaves, so I freeze the second and save it for the day everyone goes home. Then I have a date with the bread. Nom nom.

Why is it famous? I brought it to my NYC office pot luck one year, and it was voted by the 150+ people in the office as the best dish of the day!

Matt loves Funfetti cake. Loves it. So, as a pre-holiday surprise, I baked one up for him. We are trying to finish it off before everyone arrives, but about half of it still remains. And that's ok. Because it's delish. I just may have some with my coffee.
And last but certainly not least....the Tree Cookies. This recipe was passed down from my grandmother, my mom's mom, and the dough is so stiff that a cookie press made today, will break in 5 minutes or less. So for these cookies, a trip to Ebay is recommended to buy a "Mirro Cooky Press." Yep. I know how to spell 'cookie.' But, Mirro preferred to brand themselves as Cooky. The Press was made in the 1950's, and you can still find them on Ebay. I ended up buying 2, just in case one breaks!
These cookies usually need to be hidden until the company arrives. Then the free-for-all begins.
Not photographed but still baked, is the Snowflake Cake for the Christmas dinner dessert (not complete, the snowflakes need to be made yet), and the Overnight Breakfast Casserole which sat - you guessed it - overnight, and baked this morning while I mucked the barn.
How's that for multitasking?

If anyone wants the recipes to any of the above yumminess, let me know! I'm happy to share.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Nom, nom, nom...

Hey, what does this old time cookie press look like? Also, I'd love the recipe for the Funfetti cake and the Overnight Breakfast Casserole when you get a chance. And pictures of the Snowflake Cake please. Oh, and the recipe for the award winning Pumpkin Zucchini Bread (if it's not a family secret...)

Aislinn said...

KC, it all sounds so delicious. I wasn't hungry when I started to read your post, but right now, I could bite Ernie's ears off.

I'd love the pumpkin zucchini bread recipe, if you please.

Have a wonderful Christmas dinner with your in-laws!