Sunday, February 20, 2011

Chilly Weather Cider Beef Stew

The weather was nice while it lasted! Although I think we'll get back into warmer temps soon enough, it still gives me time to make some of my favorite winter comfort food recipes. Luckily, my winter fleece breeches are roomy enough to accommodate all the comfort food I've made this winter.

Oh, and by warmer temps, I mean 40 degrees. What I wouldn't give for 40 degrees without gale force winds.

So, I'm sharing one of my favorites - a cider stew recipe from my mom's arsenal of recipes. Make it for yourself and hunker down with a glass of wine and a good book, or an old favorite movie. You deserve it.

Cider Beef Stew

3 T all purpose flour
½ t pepper
1 t salt
2-3 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 T cooking oil
3 c apple cider
1 ½ c water
2T vinegar
½ t thyme
Potatoes, either cut in pieces or small new potatoes halved
carrots, cut into pieces
onion (I use the small bag of frozen pearl onions)
Any other veggies you’d like to throw in

Combine flour, salt, pepper and beef in plastic bag, shake to coat. In large saucepan, brown beef in oil. Add cider, water, vinegar and thyme, bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until meat is tender. Add veggies, return to boil. (If using small pearl onions, wait until about 30 minutes before done to add them, otherwise they disintegrate). Simmer for another hour. Serve with bread.

No comments: