Sunday, February 6, 2011

Delicioso!

A night out! Wonder of wonders, we had a night out!

I know. The mind boggles.

Despite the ice and otherwise awful weather, Matt and I were able to meet up with Jay and Kristin for dinner at Doc's Trattoria in Kent, CT. We'd been there once before with Matt's parents and had a lovely time, and Kristin had also been there before and enjoyed it.

Before we walked in (and we should have brought ice skates for the parking lot), I already knew what I wanted.

Just so you know: I love tomatoes. And mozzarella cheese.

For appetizers, we shared an insalata caprese (fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, olive oil and roasted red pepper) and bruschetta. Paired with a delish pinot grigio, the night was off to a fabulous start!

Even better, after our appetizers we were presented with yummy salads, a salad surprise! It's not listed on the menu, so they were unexpected but really tasty. (I'd forgotten about the salads!)

My entree, which I didn't even have to open the menu for, I can describe in one word: fresh. I got the Penne Vesuviana, which is basically penne pasta (duh) with fresh sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, oregano, and pecorino romano cheese. All sauteed together, it's a delicious mess of some of my most favorite things.

After polishing off some strawberry and chocolate gelato (are you hungry yet?), we all decided to traipse across the street to the Fife & Drum for an after dinner cocktail.

Who would think Kent would be the mecca of nightlife?

While we were there, Jay spotted a bottle spinning on the bar. And I think it just may have changed his life.
Jay discovered Black Lab vodka. According to the nice bartender, the creators of the vodka had a shop just across the street for many years. They've since relocated, but it's clear that the people who started Black Lab have strong ties to Kent.

Jay even got a souvenir bottle to take home with him!

A good time was had by all. And my lunch of leftovers today was just a reminder of a fun evening!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Doc's looks like a really cute place. I'm now craving penne pasta!

Anonymous said...

yummy! thanks for sharing! I'm going to have to check it out!
-Kelly Zim