Saturday, February 19, 2011

Garden Wish List

Well, it's back to reality.

From 60 degrees....to 12. With a wind chill of 0. Wow, this is fun.

But, the warm temps of the past few days have reminded me that gardening season is not far off, and it was such fun to be able to harvest things from our own garden.

That said, I can easily point out that I had way more failures than successes!

Carrots, corn, watermelon, sunflowers and broccoli - fail!

Green beans, strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes and basil - yay! Although the blueberries, basil and tomatoes were purchased as plants, not as seeds. But still. I didn't kill them, so I'll count it as a success. I also had insane success with weeds.

I figure I'll go through a few more years of trial and error before I find out what works, what we'll actually eat, and what saves us money by growing it ourselves vs. purchasing it in the supermarket. The problem is, our garden doesn't get as much sun as I'd like. Or the plants would like, for that matter. The prior owners saw nothing wrong in covering the garden with trees and shade - something I didn't figure out until late May, when all the shade began to cover all the seeds I'd so lovingly planted.

So, I'm throwing this out to you guys - any suggestions as to what to try and grow? Anything on your wish list?

Let's have a garden party! When it's warmer, of course.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

KC, in Alaska I had great success with radishes, carrots, lettuce and strawberries. Oh and peas.