Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Smashing!

Some days, you're gonna hurt.

If you work with horses, that is. Especially if you work with horses every day.

Today, I headed over to Akindale to work with some of my youngsters over there. My first horse up, Paris, was a star under saddle and is just really proving herself to be a great prospect. But while I was leading her back into the barn....

SMASH!

She managed to place her foot ever so nicely squarely on top of my left foot, and slowly put alllllllll of her weight on it, twisting her hoof and grinding it in as she pivoted around me.

Ouch. To put it mildly.

The point is, did she do anything wrong? No. Was it her fault? No. You could say it was my fault for having my foot in her way, but sometimes, these things just happen.

So in the horse world that begs the question: what do you do? Do you hop around on one foot? Go home, elevate it and ice it?

Not in horsey land. You finish your work (which for me, included 3 more horses, and I have one left still to ride today at Starlight), and you show your incoming black and blue badge of honor to your husband who recoils in horror.

Oh yes, mission accomplished!

I'm sure I'll be feeling it, big time, tomorrow. But I'll still go about my day.

Not because it's what I do, or it's my job.

Because it's going to be 50 degrees and I'm going to enjoy it if it kills me!

2 comments:

Cynthia D said...

I love it! That's my girl! I'm sorry...not because she continues on with her job because she is a professional. No, it's the part where, deep inside of her, there's a tiny little smile, because she was able to gross out her husband! Cheers to that!

Catherine said...

So how many pounds of horse do you reckon your foot felt? I'm surprised your foot isn't broken. Post a picture!

Enjoy the 50 degree heatwave!