Friday, March 11, 2011

The Flurry Conundrum

I haven't said anything (except to Matt, my parents and some very close friends) but I've been in turmoil over the past few months.

It's over this girl.
You all remember Flurry. She forever changed my life on October 16, when I made the call to save her from the Kill Pen.

She was the last horse standing.
Since then, we have discovered that Flurry is not 12-13 years old as we were told at the auction - she is, in fact, late teens - a little tougher to adopt out because she's a senior horse. She could easily live another 10 years, but a lot of people are reluctant to take on a new horse when they are in their later years.
I have also discovered that Flurry is, in a word, perfect. When I ride her, I feel that she's safe and a fun ride. I've had riding student Marissa ride her, and absolutely have a ball on her - and because of Flurry, Marissa's been able to grow as a rider in these winter months.
At the same time, she's still got spunk - she flies over jumps and still tosses her head and leaps about when she's having a good time. I feel like she could be the stepping stone for my students who graduate from Topaz, but aren't big enough, strong or confident enough for Siggy. She could be the horse I gain my confidence back after having a child, before tackling the wily Zeus. She and Topaz could be turned out together, being two old ladies, without worrying about the younger, and bigger boys, pushing them around.
When I pulled that Kill Pen tag off her rump, I made a personal commitment to make sure she would always be loved and cared for. I didn't imagine on that day (though I had a fleeting thought, I pushed it away), that the desire to bring her home, to be loved and cherished by us and our little community at TMF, would be so strong.
But it is. For months, I've not stopped talking about it. What's holding us back is the daily cost of her living with us - hay, shavings, grain, farrier (foot trimmings), vet...etc.
Flurry will be showcased this weekend, and she will be up for adoption and have lots of people looking at her. Knowing her, I'm sure she will rise to the occasion and be absolutely perfect. I secretly hope she's a cranky little cow so people think, "Oh, that's a naughty little horse!" but I think my chances of that are slim!
I have to take a "que sera sera" attitude, as my Mom says, at least through Sunday. It's going to be hard, because I am fiercely protective of her. If the perfect home comes along - someone who wants to enjoy her and not ride her into the ground - not use her as a daily lesson horse - not keep her in a stall 23 hours a day or in ankle deep mud...if someone will love her as I do, then I can't keep her from going to a new home. I would track her, of course, and keep up with her adopters.
But if the end of March comes and the Starlight horses go back to Akindale...I think it wouldn't feel right unless she made her way to our home. She deserves to spend her senior years as far away from the life that led her into the Kill Pen as she can get - being appreciated, loved and cherished the way she should be.
She deserves nothing less.

5 comments:

Arliss said...

Such a beautiful post, KC, I have tears in my eyes. That last photo is just magical. Sending best wishes for her, and you ... whatever the outcome. Whether with you or someone else, she deserves the perfect rest of her life she'd have with you. No less.

Fingers crossed for a wonderful showcase for you and the horses this weekend, and wonderful prospective homes!

KC said...

Arliss, thank you! Madeleine is one of the reasons I love her so - I could absolutely envision M doing her first show with Flurry.

We will miss you this weekend - safe travels to Florida! xox

Catherine said...

KC, how did the showcase go over the weekend? Were there any good prospects for Flurry?

Arliss said...

You are so sweet for saying that about Madeleine, KC -- I can also see it! I too have bated breath and fingers crossed wondering how it will go for Flurry. :-)

Aislinn said...

So?