Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bank Hops

I am ridiculously proud of Zeus!

Today we went to Frazier Farm in Woodbury, CT. I trained at Frazier years ago. We're talking decades - when I was just starting out in Eventing with Beau, my very first horse, and then Midnight. Frazier is wonderful because it's a casual, friendly, supportive atmosphere, and has a plethora of inviting lower level jumps. Perfect to get a youngster like Zeus started on cross country.

Although we didn't get much film, I can tell you that Zeus did famously, and went over every single thing I put him in front of. He saw a jump ahead of us, his ears would perk up and he would just light up. He *loves* his new job.

As we were jumping some other things around a field, I happened to see a bank. But it was a double bank - double imposing, and double the difficulty. Zeus has never done a bank, not even a tiny one. Since things were going so well, I thought, "Hmm. I wonder what he'll make of this."

He ate it up. And then some!

A quick video below, of the Grotto (a close of trees, going down into a little dark valley, over a log, and then back out again). It's pretty intimidating for a young horse, especially one who hasn't done anything like it before. Then we turn to the bank.


You can hear me in the video (link here), and you can hear Mom, always my cross country advisor, saying, "Very good!" She also said to me later that if I do this right - take our time, lots of schooling and encouragement - he'll be unstoppable.

Unstoppable. I like the sound of that.

No comments: