Thursday, August 25, 2011

Batten Down the Hatches

I have breaking news.

There's a hurricane coming.

Please join me in saying, "Oh come on, Mother Nature, is that the best you've got?!"

Just kidding - don't say that. She gave us a spanking this winter, and she's coming at us with a paddle now. She just loves to keep us on our toes, doesn't she?

I remember a big hurricane years ago - Hurricane Gloria. I was 5. My family just sat in the living room, with no power, watching the storm rage around us. It was scary but exciting at the same time. No power meant we could make a tent and camp out in the living room with sleeping bags!

This time around, it's just as exciting but in a bit more frantic, "Holy cannoli I have so much to do!" kind of excitement.

From hereon out, this isn't going to be a silly blog post. Just to do my part, I'm listing a few things that you lovely readers who may be in Irene's path might want to have at the ready - whether you have horses or not.

  • Decide on your plan. If you do have horses, choose whether they'll be in or out of their barn during the storm. There are mixed reviews about this, but for my personal comfort, my horses will be staying in, with the barn doors closed. We are inland and I feel safer with them in our sturdy, dry barn, out of the way of debris that can fly around and injure them. If you keep your horses out, identify them by attaching info to their halter or mane.
  • Have lots of water! We have a well, so when the power stops, so does our well. We are filling every conceivable bucket and trash bin (not used for trash) with water so the horses have plenty if we're out of power for a few days.
  • Have your equine, canine, feline, and human first aid kit handy and stocked! Also have an ample supply of hay, shavings, grain, dog/ cat food, etc, in case you can't get out for a few days.
  • If it's not nailed down or cemented into the ground, bring it in! I am stashing everything in our storage shed and spare barn - jumps, jump poles, mounting block, wheelbarrows, garbage bins. If it moves, it moves inside. No wheelbarrows will be flying past our window. Our neighbor's kiddie pool riddled with holes might, but it wouldn't be the first time.
  • Don't forget about you! I am spending part of tomorrow preparing food for us for a few days - stuff that is easily heated up or can be eaten cold. We have BBQ Chicken and veggie tortellini on the menu, and lots of snacks. I don't know why, but when there's a big storm, people always shop like maniacs for eggs, milk, and bread. I guess everyone makes French Toast when there's a disaster. (Ok, that was funny!)
  • Don't be stupid. Wandering out in the midst of a hurricane is not a bright idea. I am giving the horses each at least 2 buckets of water and tons of hay with deeply bedded stalls, so in the event that I can't get out there for hours at a time, I'll know they'll be ok.
We are very fortunate to have a generator that we purchased in the wake of an awful storm in March of 2010. So our fridge and other appliances can run as normal even when the power's out, thank goodness.

So be prepared and be safe. Oh, but I forgot the most important rule to abide by:
Hit up the liquor shop and stock your bar.

4 comments:

Alan said...

That's excellent advice, KC! I'm old enough to remember some of the monstrous hurricanes that barreled through New England in the 1950s and, believe me, they were a terrifying experience.

Sometimes, Mother Nature is just an unstoppable force.

Aislinn said...

YIKES!

23893b42-57c4-11e0-8abd-000f20980440 said...

Be safe KC, wishing you and hubby and all critters the best. You certainly sound prepared!
Talk to you soon. Renee

Arliss said...

I am still visiting family down in Florida, Land of Hurricanes, and who'd have guessed that while I was here I'd be worrying about a hurricane affecting friends and family in the Northeast?! This weekend my thoughts and prayers are with you, Matt, the horses, the kitties, and the farm, sending positive vibes for all to go smoothly and safely. It sounds like you are very well prepared! Take care xoxo