Friday, August 12, 2011

Birthday Boots

Yesterday was my birthday, and it was a great day! The weather was heavenly, I received over 100 birthday greetings from friends and family (and more are still coming in!), and Matt took me out for a fabulous birthday dinner at a restaurant called Aurelia in Millbrook, NY. We both thought it was a sign when the restaurant shared the same name as his paternal grandmother, and she would have been delighted - the food was outstanding! I had polenta for the first time. I had no idea what it was (and had to look it up when we got home) but it was delish.

I got some lovely flowers from my brother Jay, Sis-in-law Kristin and niece Emily, as well as a pizza dinner and cake this past weekend:
A book I've been dying to read from Mom and Dad...
And some other cute little things.

But what I asked for most, were things for Zeus. Is anyone surprised by this? Anyone?

I didn't think so.

My older XC boots for him were leather which were great, because they didn't soak up and hold water. But, each boot had 4 or 5 buckles and keepers on each one, making putting them on a squirrely young Thoroughbred quite an athletic endeavor.

Mom and Dad snagged these faboo brushing boots from Bit of Britain for his hind legs.

And Matt, after many hints (catalogs circled, pages folded down and left on his computer desk, at his place at the dinner table, in his work bag), I got these fantastic front boots for Zeus. They're very high tech - the blue circles are actually air holes that allow air to circulate so Zeus' tendons don't heat up, yet they provide solid support and protection.

I was ecstatic over all the boots. It's almost as if someone had handed me a pair of Manolos for my horse. Matt rolled his eyes and said, "But these things are for your horse, not for you!"

Ah, but they are for me! Because we can then go and do fun things like this (6 second video):


Every year since I can remember, I've always had an ice cream cake for my birthday. Now that I'm a grown up (Wait. I am a grown up, right?), it is no different- the responsibility just falls to Matt instead of my parents.

So off we went to get a cake. When the nice ice cream lady asked me what I wanted it to say, I gave her a bit of a blank stare. Telling her it's "Happy Birthday to me?" That's weird.

I looked at Matt and said, "Well, most of my gifts are for my horse...." and then it hit both of us.

Happy Birthday Zeus!
The Cake Lady thought we'd both lost our marbles. We sat at the window, snickering and really quite pleased with ourselves.

It was delicious. And we're still laughing over the Zeus cake.

8 comments:

Atena said...

Sounds like your birthday was fabulous and I bet Zeus is very happy to have received the fruits of your day....Love ya - Atena

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Suzanne (for some reason, Google doesn't allow me to log in to your site under my profile)

KC said...

Atena, thanks! When are you coming to visit? :)

Suzanne, thanks so much, and I hear you on the log-in problem - I can't seem to log in to comment on Boyd & Silva Martin's blog and a few others. Very frustrating! At any rate, thank you for reading. :)

offtrackthoroughbreds.com said...

Hi KC,
Happy Birthday! Great gift & cake.
Oh, and your earlier post at the x-country with Matt posing at the jumps was fantastic. Only ... maybe he thinks what you do, by comparison, is too easy now.

p.s. I've also had log-in problems.

23893b42-57c4-11e0-8abd-000f20980440 said...

I'm so glad your birthday was so wonderful. Your blogs always make me smile! LOVE Polenta!!! I'm glad you did too.
The cake looked terrific! Happy riding with your new 'boots'. :)
Renee

Arliss said...

A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, Kace -- and I'm glad it was such a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Now I want cake...

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was me...Cat