Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Festive Cookies

Let me set the stage.

Matt and I went to the grocery store over the weekend to get everything we needed for the big Christmas gathering at our house this weekend. We have friends and family coming, some from all over the country, and others from other parts of the world! Yes, we feel really lucky to be having such a great Christmas with so many people.

I usually make Christmas tree cookies, which I'll be making this year as well. Earlier this year, I made a new recipe for chocolate chip cookies, and Matt said they were so good (and he's right - they are), that he'd like to have some made for his family visiting. Since I don't think there will be any more rugelach when they arrive Friday, I acquiesced.

Anyway.

Since chocolate chip cookies don't scream Christmas to me, I had to "Christmas" them up a bit. So I went in search of festive M&M's. You know, the red and green ones.

The first grocery store....they were out. No problem, we'll just go to another one.

The second one was out too. Every other festive candy you can think of was there, but not the M&M's. Matt grabs a regular bag (gasp) and says, "Here they are, let's go!"

"You expect me to use (gasp again) regular M&M's?"
"Well, maybe I don't like M&M's in my cookies."
"Regular M&M's aren't festive! I need these cookies to be festive!"
(between gritted teeth) "We...are...taking...these...M&Ms...and...we'll....deal."
"Oh, fine. But you get to pick out the red and green ones."
There's not enough festive in there.

For the rest of the day, I heard the word "festive" uttered around the house. I don't know why he was so frustrated.

After the "festive" M&Ms were separated from the "non-festive" ones, I decided there just wasn't enough festive in the cookie dough. So for good measure, a mess of sprinkles went in there too.
Cookie/ M&M/ Sprinkle Mess

I have to tell you, these cookies are the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever eaten. Or made. They've got oatmeal in them too, so bonus! You can eat them for breakfast. They have eggs, flour, butter, and oatmeal in them. That's breakfast. And sprinkles.

Also, adding to the delicious, is another ingredient that really works.
They're singing "Now bring me some figgy pudding..." On a side note, don't you find that to be the most demanding carol ever? "...and bring it right here!" Oh really? I don't think those carolers were very popular.
Whether you choose to "festive" up these cookies or make them at any other time of year...they're phenomenal. You'll love them. And hopefully Matt's family will too, since most of the rugelach is gone. Nom nom.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

  • In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, dry pudding mix, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
  • Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Yield: about 7 dozen.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Brilliant! They look fabulous and I love this blog!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are some wicked festive cookies! -Cat