Sunday, December 25, 2011

Kleenex Christmas

Merry Christmas, everyone!

I hope you have all had a treasured few days with family and friends, those near and dear to you. We were blessed enough to enjoy not only both our families, but lovely friends as well. More recipes coming - namely the Breakfast Casserole - but I just had to share this with you.

Matt and I had planned to not give each other gifts this year. We'd made a few large purchases, and with an impending trip overseas next year to best friend Bex's wedding (in Ireland - YAY) among other things, we thought we had enough.

Evidently Matt thought otherwise!

Christmas Day was lovely and quiet, just the two of us and the horses and cats. We were sitting in front of a fire, the tree twinkling and Christmas carols serenading us. As I was just taking a moment to enjoy my surroundings, Matt says, "What's that?"

"What's what?"
"What are you looking at?"
"I was just enjoying the tree."
"Are you sure? What else are you looking at?"
Me, thinking he's imbibed in too much eggnog: "Umm, the tree."
"I think there's something else over there. You might want to check it out."

I'm thoroughly confused by this point.

What else is a girl to do? I got up, looked at the tree, then looked down. At the bottom of the tree was a wrapped box. Thought #1: How long has that been there while I wandered past, oblivious? Thought #2: What the heck is in there?!

It didn't take long to find out. After ripping the wrapping paper, I unearthed....a box of tissues. There was a note.
Am I getting a cold for Christmas?

So I turn them over. And I can only imagine the look on my face before I burst into tears and blubbered a million things like, "Oh my God!" and "I can't believe you did this!"
It was tickets to see the hit play War Horse at Lincoln Center....a play I'd been talking about since it opened in March. After winning 5 Tony awards, it's original June 26th curtain call was nixed for an open-ended run. And we're two lucky people to have the opportunity to experience the wonder of this play.

My parents always took my brother and I to theatre, both local community shows and Broadway, so seeing a play or musical is an occasion to get dressed up and really soak up the story that unfolds in front of you. I'm sure I'll be affected and will connect with the story, even though the "horses" are puppets and I've never been to war.

Now all I have to figure out is how to cram several boxes of tissues in my handbag.

And how to show Matt how grateful I am that he gave me such a wonderful, unexpected gift. I feel especially blessed this Christmas.

(War Horse Lincoln Center Montage Video)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You lucky girl! And, wow, Matt is a doll. What a cute way to give you the gift! Love, Cat