Monday, April 23, 2012

Tax Dollars at Work, Horsey Style

I'm the first to admit that I've totally been slacking on my blogging lately. Things are hectic around here, especially with the spring season starting up (I may not be riding, but there's a plethora of things to do!), I could update on a number of things....but I have to be honest in that pregnancy is kinda boring. No exciting schoolings, clinics or lessons to attend, no events to gear up for, and every beautiful warm day I think, "Oh, I'll have to pop on Zeus and....oh wait. I can't. Boooo."

Enjoying the ring, 2011
Even though I'm officially in my last trimester and "grounded" from riding at this point, I got to spend this past weekend with Matt and a few other supporters of our local town park, sprucing up the equestrian amenities.

We are super lucky in that our town park has a gorgeous riding ring, trails and galloping paths, and even some XC jumps. Yup. My tax dollars pay for XC jumps. How many people can say that?



Mowed galloping paths for miles!


But, the amount of daredevils on horseback on our town has dwindled, and so has the care of the jumps and other features we love so much. Enter the Friends of Boyce Park Equestrians, a group of us who ride there regularly and want to make it into a great place to ride again. We're hard at work raising awareness in our town and this past Saturday, a bunch of us had a "work day" to improve and/ or fix some of the jumps. That meant bringing a bunch of tools, some lumber and a bit of creativity. It's a work in progress, but the park is well on its way to being an eventer's paradise once again.

Without further ado, here are some of the new additions and renovations, courtesy of hard-working volunteers. More jumps are being added, painted and a dressage arena is in the works, but this is one heck of a good start.

And PS - for you non-horse folk who read the blog, I'm very sorry, but photos of barrels and logs excite us horse people to no end, especially when we get to jump over them.

These barrels were pushed off into some brush along a pathway. Enter some standards and a groundline, and we have a nice jump!



High Log and Low Log, a bank is being built not too far away. Hopefully people who walk their dogs in the park won't think the bank is a relaxing seat for them, and have a horse barreling up to it.
Those of you who wanted a bump pic, voila. And for good measure, I'm standing like a duck. Good Lord, what's wrong with me?? That's Sue H., another volunteer helping me kick a log into place.

The sexiest jump builder of all time, Ladies and Gents! This guy did all the hard labor and I got to hold the shovel and point out where things should go. All I had to do was get him a burger and curly fries afterward, and he was happy.

The dilapidated tire jump, 2011.
The rebuilt tire jump, 2012.

Nice oxer!

Clearing the trails behind the galloping fields.
It was a gorgeous day to get out and make the most of what our town has to offer. Parks like this are few and far between, and part of showing our appreciation is by putting in some time to make it better. Time well spent!

2 comments:

Cynthia D said...

I miss you all so much!! I need a few lessons! Stop lifting! Okay, enough of me bossing you around! I love you!
Cyn

Unknown said...

Thanks for the bump pic! Love it. And tell Matt, there is nothing sexier than a husband who helps out. Oh, and lovely barrels. -Cat