Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Big Arrival

She's here! Our little girl has arrived.

Let me introduce you to Lyra Aurelia.
Just chillin'
 Actually, she's been here for almost 3 weeks - she decided she just didn't want to be a July baby, so she made her debut in June, much to our surprise.
Before we brought her home...at New Milford Hospital
Long story short, I was suddenly diagnosed with pre-eclampsia, or toxemia in my 37th week. In layman's terms, my kidneys weren't operating as they should, being potentially harmful to Baby and me. The only cure is to get Baby out, and since we were relatively close to my due date, the doctors decided to induce me ASAP. It was a harrowing experience for both Matt and I between the various drugs I was on, my blood pressure being a roller coaster, I managed to get myself a fever when it came to pushing time, and Lyra had the cord wrapped around her neck - twice!  (Clearly this child has embraced her mother's flair for the dramatic.) The delivery was great though, and the end result has been an adorable little package that we're totally infatuated with.



She'll either be a pro rider, a gymnast, or a ninja...baby aerobics were a regular thing in utero and she is frequently kicking and kung fu-ing in her bassinet.
While I'm sure you're not surprised at all, she's already been out to the barn to meet the horses. Topaz in particular is very interested in her, but in a very gentle way. I think she knows this little lady is the next generation that will learn to ride thanks to her.
Smitten parents
It's been almost 3 weeks, and I popped on Zeus today for the first time in several months. He was fantastic and while the work we did was very slow and light, it was a moment of Zen for me and a reconnection with all of the moments I missed. While Lyra is worth every second (and hung out ringside with Daddy while I rode), being able to get back in the saddle was an awesome feeling!
About to bring our girl home
Time will tell if my daughter follows suit with riding. But whatever she decides her passion is, I think she already knows we're crazy about her.

Oh, and how did we come up with the name Lyra, you ask? Well, let me tell you.

When we were looking at names, we wanted something unusual but not weird. We also wanted a name we felt a personal connection with. Phillip Pullman wrote a trilogy of books called His Dark Materials, and the first of these books was called The Golden Compass. That may ring a bell, because it was made into a film with Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig and Sam Elliott (video).



Why did this book/ film resonate with us? Well, Lyra's a very courageous girl with strong convictions. But each character, Lyra included, has a daemon - an animal spirit guide that's tied to their soul. Matt and I both think our animals choose us, not the other way around, and we have our own daemons wandering around TMF on a daily basis. On further research, we discovered that Lyra is a constellation and its principal star is one of the brightest in the sky. That's when we were sure it was the right name for our little star.

5 comments:

Arliss said...

Awww, beautiful photos, wonderful post!! You and Matt are very blessed. She is so lovely and perfect, and her beautiful name suits her so well. And how terrific to hear that you're back in the saddle again! Hooray!!

Madeleine and I will have to watch "The Golden Compass" now -- it looks amazing.

Love and hugs to you and yours,
Arliss

JayZ said...

She is beautiful and I LOVE how you came up with her name! It seems to fit her to a "T" :) Now I need to read that series of books!

That's awesome that you have already gotten back on Zeus! You must have missed that time so much. Can't wait to see Lyra on her 1st ride :)

Alan said...

KC, congratulations to you and Matt on your latest (and best) addition! And thanks for sharing all those cute pictures, too.

Don't forget to update the "About Me" bio on your blog's main page...you know, the part that says "I am not a mother...yet."

offtrackthoroughbreds.com said...

KC,
I'm so thrilled for you (and Matt).
She is beautiful!

The name Lyra is so familiar to me. As a pre-teen, some girlfriends and I wanted to form a girl band. And we wanted to name it after the constellations.

Lyra was either my name, or the name of the band. Anyway, it's lovely, and it works so well with her last name.

Also, congrats on getting on Zeus so soon!!

:)
Sue

Anonymous said...

Dear KC & Matt, Love this post of course. So happy for all of you. You're a beautifuly little family now! Love, Cat